IAS public lectures aim to attract and stimulate lively discussion. Lectures, often tied to a longer visit to UWA by a distinguished visitor, are part of the University's long-standing goal to share the research activity at UWA with the community at large.
The Institute also sponsors a number of named, endowed or memorial lectures each year with both internal and external partners.
Many of our talks were recorded and the audio file and slides can be viewed
by selecting one of the links below.
Lectures held in 2024
- Climate Change and Democracy: Perils, Promise, and Prospects?
Presenter: Professor Joo-Cheong Tham, Melbourne Law School and IAS Visiting Fellow
Lectures held in 2023
- Saltwater Song Lines and the Deep History of Sea Country
The 2023 George Seddon Memorial Lecture by Mick O'Leary, School of Earth Sciences, The University of Western Australia
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Social and Emotional Wellbeing, Self-Determination, and The Voice referendum
The 2023 Robin Winkler Lecture by Professor Patricia Dudgeon, School of Indigenous Studies, UWA.
- Towards Gender Equality in Education: The image of maths and science and students' career aspirations in STEM.
A public talk by Professor Elena Makarova, University of Basel, Institute for Educational Sciences and UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Are we listening to the urgent call of humanity? As scientists? As citizens?
A public talk by Professor Prajval Shastri, ICRAR Visiting Fellow
Lectures held in 2022
- Dirt-poor soils, pesky parasites and friendly fungi shape plant diversity in south-western Australia
The George Seddon Memorial Lecture by Professor Hans Lambers FAA FRNAS, UWA School of Biological Sciences
- Climate Anxiety in Young People: Curse or Cure?
The Robin Winkler Lecture by Carmen Lawrence, Professor Emerita, UWA School of Psychological Science.
Lectures held in 2021
- Earthquake Landscapes of Western Australia
The 2021 George Seddon Memorial Lecture by Professor Myra Keep, UWA School of Earth Sciences
- Understanding and improving the mental health of LGBTQA+ young people
The 2021 Robin Winkler Lecture by Associate Professor Ashleigh Lin, Program Head, Mental Health and Youth, Telethon Kids Institute
- The Archaeology of Death and Pandemics
A public lecture by Sven Ouzman, Archaeologist and Heritage Specialist, UWA School of Social Sciences
- Plague, Pestilence and Art
A public lecture by Dr Clarissa Ball, Head, the History of Art, UWA School of Design, and Director, UWA Institute of Advanced Studies.
- Dante's Divine Comedy: the journey of a lifetime
Lectures held in 2020
Lethal Intersections: women, race and violence
A public lecture by Patricia Hill Collins, Distinguished University Professor Emerita, Department of Sociology, University of Maryland.
- Trends and dangers in US philanthropy ? are there implications for Australia?
A public lecture by Mark Sidel, Doyle-Bascom Professor of Law and Public Affairs, University of Wisconsin-Madison.
- Reframing Human Rights: health, dirt and ecologies of right-making
A public lecture by Professor Rosemary J. Jolly, Weiss Chair, Humanities in Literature and Human Rights, Pennsylvania State University and 2020 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Legal Humanism and the Automation of Everyday Life
A public lecture by Christophe Lazaro, Associate Professor of Law & Society, Centre for Philosophy of Law, University of Louvain and 2020 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
Interrogating an Ancient War on Terror: the persecution of the Christians reconsidered
A public lecture by Dr James Corke-Webster, Senior Lecturer, Roman History, King's College London and 2020 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- The Deep History of Place: 50,000 years of the origins of place in WA
The 2020 George Seddon Memorial Lecture by Peter Veth, Professor of Archaeology UWA
Listen to past talks - 2019