IAS public lectures aim to attract and stimulate lively discussion.
Lectures, often tied to a longer visit to UWA by a distinguished visitor, are part of the University's long-standing goal to share the research activity at UWA with the community at large. The Institute also sponsors a number of named, endowed or memorial lectures each year with both internal and external partners.
Many of our talks were recorded and the audio file and slides can be viewed by selecting one of the links below.
Lectures held in 2019
Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
- MindTrails: Using technology to change anxious thinking in the real world
A public lecture by Professor Bethany Teachman Director of Clinical Training, Department of Psychology, University of Virginia and UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Charting courses through the Ice – Envisioning Antarctic Futures
A public lecture by Dr Daniela Liggett, Centre for Antarctic Studies and Research (Gateway Antarctica), University of Canterbury and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Right to Food: A reflection of the United Nations Special Rapporteur on Right to Food
A public lecture by Professor Hilal Elver, Global Distinguished Fellow, Resnick Program for Food Law and Policy, UCLA Law School and UN Special Rapporteur on the right to food and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Current Global Crises: towards a more humane global governance.
A public lecture by Professor Richard Falk, Professor Emeritus of International Law, Princeton University and UN Special Rapporteur on human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (2008-2014) and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- With or Without Body: Feeling, Creating, & Performing Emotion
This public event was part of the Limina 14th Annual Conference HUMANIFESTO: dissecting the human experience.
- Laparoscopes and Leonardo: unveiling the secrets of art using medical imaging
A public lecture by Professor Adam Gibson, Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, University College London (UCL) and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies.
- PRISON versus WESTERN AUSTRALIA
A public lecture by Barry Godfrey, Professor of Social Justice, University of Liverpool and Russell Ward Visiting Professor, University of New England and 2019 UWA Fred Alexander Fellow.
- Why "home" matters the most for people on the move
A public lecture by Paolo Boccagni, Associate Professor, Sociology, University of Trento, Italy and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Critical Care. Architecture and Urbanism for a Broken Planet
A public lecture by Elke Krasny, Professor for Art and Education, Academy of Fine Arts Vienna.
- Neural Machine Translation and the Translation Professions
A public lecture by Anthony Pym, Translation Studies (Intercultural Studies), The University of Melbourne.
- Women, Inequality and the Butterfly Effect
The 2019 Grace Vaughan Memorial Lecture by Antoinette Kennedy AO
- An African-American feminist visits Perth in 1960: who she met, what she saw, what she said, and what she wore.
Keynote Address of the annual Australian Women's History Network symposium 'The Female Frame: Biopolitics and Wellbeing in Australian and Global Perspective’ by Emerita Professor Ann Curthoys, chaired by Wesfarmers Chair of Australian History, Professor Jane Lydon
- Cyber Security: why are we not safer?
A public lecture by Professor David Watts, Professor of Information Law and Policy, La Trobe University and 2019 Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Margaret Cavendish’s Life of Newcastle (1667), a Wifely Intervention in the Making of History
A public lecture by Dr Diana Barnes, Lecturer in English Literary Studies, University of New England and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- The Last Indigenous People of Europe, but for how long?
A public lecture by Steven G.M. Schilizzi, Professor of Environmental and Agricultural Economics, Faculty of Science, UWA
- Struggles with Scale, Strategy, and Stewardship: fifty years of environmental activism
A public lecture by Graeme Wynn FRSC, Emeritus Professor of Geography, University of British Columbia and 2019 Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Engineering Empathy
A public lecture by Professor Philip Gerrans, Professor of Philosophy, University of Adelaide and Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Technology and the Future of Work: an international perspective in the shadow of the competition for talent
A public lecture by Gordon L Clark, Professorial Fellow, University of Oxford; Sir Lewis Matheson Distinguished Visiting Professor, Department of Banking and Finance, Monash University and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- The Art of Healing
The 2019 Robin Winkler Lecture by Helen Milroy, Professor of Psychiatry at The University of Western Australia.
Italian SeriesThis lecture series
celebrates the 90th Anniversary of Italian Studies at UWA.
Shaping the Invisible: images reflected in music
A public lecture by Mr Robert Hollingworth, Reader in Music, University of York and Director, I Fagiolini
- Venice and the Ottomans: a visual artistic journey between the Serenissima and Istanbul
A public lecture by Dr Stefano Carboni, Director, Art Gallery of Western Australia
- Missing Magnificence: tracing Catherine de Medici’s hidden cultural legacy
A public lecture by Susan Broomhall, Professor of History, University of Western Australia.
- Italy and the Invention of Luxury
A public lecture by Dr Catherine Kovesi, History, University of Melbourne.
- Staying in touch across distance: 100 years of Italian-Australian migration
A public lecture by Professor Loretta Baldassar, Anthropology and Sociology, UWA.
- Taking the pulse of Italy today: a creative presence in Europe and in Australia
A public lecture by H.E. Francesca Tardioli, Ambassador of Italy in Australia.
- Leonardo Da Vinci (1452-1519): enigma and genius
A public lecture by Costantino D’Orazio, Art historian and writer, Rome.
- A cookbook for a nation. Pellegrino Artusi and the Italian language
Speaker: Professor Cecilia Robustelli, Università di Modena e Reggio-Emilia.
Health and Medical Sciences
- The Human Cost of Drone Warfare
A public lecture by Alex Edney-Browne, International Relations, University of Melbourne.
- Rheumatic Heart Disease: A Case Study
A public lecture by Dr Mark Engel, Associate Professor within the Medicine Department at University of Cape Town and 2019 UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- From evidence to empowerment – translating UWA breastfeeding research into practice
A panel discussion with three of UWA’s leading breastfeeding researchers: Professor Valerie Verhasselt, Larsson-Rosenquist Chair in Human Lactology; Associate Professor Donna Geddes, Chief Investigator of the Hartmann Human Lactation Research Group and Melinda Boss, Senior Research Fellow, School of Allied Health.
- Pandemics and their Control in the Modern World
A public lecture by Sir Roy Anderson, Professor of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Imperial College London and Director, London Centre for Neglected Tropical Disease Research.
- Glaucoma: what’s on the horizon?
The Lions Eye Institute and the UWA Institute of Advanced Studies present the 2019 Ian Constable Lecture - by Professor Keith Martin, Managing Director, Centre for Eye Research Australia.
- Physics in the Fight against Cancer
A public lecture by Professor Thomas Bortfeld, Medical Physicist, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School.
- Heat Therapy: An ancient practice to target modern diseases
A public lecture by Christopher T. Minson, PhD, Kenneth and Kenda Singer Professor, and UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
Sciences, Engineering and Mathematics
- Will the Earth become too hot for your grandchildren to handle? The science and politics of carbon emissions and storage.
The Australian Academy of Science Selby Lecture by Herbert Huppert, Emeritus Professor of Theoretical Geophysics, University of Cambridge.
- From Ores to Ash: the Inner Workings of Hazardous Volcanoes.
A public lecture by Jon Blundy, Professor of Petrology, University of Bristol and 2019 UWA Robert and Maude Gledden Senior Visiting Fellow.
- Glass Houses: the Internet of Things and its encroachment on intimacy
A public lecture by Dr Gilad Rosner, founder, Internet of Things Privacy Forum and Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Pulling Back the Big Blue Curtain: big fish and big parks
A public lecture by Jessica Meeuwig, Professor of Marine Science, The University of Western Australia and 2019 Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering Eminent Speaker.
- Pyrogeography and Fire Management
A public lecture by David Bowman, Professor of Pyrogeography and Fire Science, School of Natural Sciences,The University of Tasmania.
- No Sense of Place?
The 2019 George Seddon Memorial Lecture by Don Bradshaw, Emeritus Professor, Zoology.
- Coping with water scarcity: Lessons from giant cacti of the Americas
A public lecture by David Williams, Professor and former Head of Botany, University of Wyoming and Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Gas Stations in Space
A public lecture by Dr William Notardonato, Principal Investigator, Kennedy Space Centre Exploration Research and Technology Programs, NASA, and Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- The Power of Earth: the 2015 Gorkha (Nepal) earthquake and case studies
A public lecture by Dr Lijun Deng, Associate Professor, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Alberta and and 2019 UWA Robert and Maude Gledden Senior Visiting Fellow.
- Leading the Rebellious with Empathy: a new paradigm for (STEM) education
A public lecture by Dr Johannes Strobel, Information Science & Learning Technologies, University of Missouri and 2019 Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
- Perils of Fornicating on the Beach: reproductive constraints in a keystone fish may underpin collapse of the Northwest Atlantic foodweb
A public lecture by Dr Craig Purchase, Associate Professor of Biology, Memorial University of Newfoundland and a UWA Institute of Advanced Studies Visiting Fellow.
A public lecture by Professor Dahbia Talbi, Laboratoire Univers et Particules de Montpellier, University of Montpellier, France.
Listen to past talks